Congratulations on the new addition to your family! Getting a new kitten is an exciting time, but can also bring up many questions and concerns (especially for first-time cat owners). At Mayde Creek Animal Health Center, we are here to provide your new companion with everything he or she needs to grow up healthy and strong.
It is important to have your new kitten examined as soon as possible to make sure they are healthy and to vaccinate them against serious, preventable diseases. Our veterinarians will make sure they receive a healthy start in life through comprehensive wellness exams, customized vaccinations, parasite protection, and nutrition and weight management advice.
Your Kitten’s First Exam
Your new kitten’s first visit with us includes a comprehensive physical exam which allows us to establish a specialized wellness plan for your kitten going forward. During the wellness exam, we will perform:
- A comprehensive physical exam
- An intestinal parasite screening
- An intestinal parasite worming (if needed)
- Necessary vaccines or vaccine boosters
We will also take time to review:
- A vaccination program based on your kitten’s lifestyle and exposure risk
- Heartworm preventative recommendations
- Recommendations for flea and tick prevention
- Behavior and housetraining recommendations
- Nutritional counseling
- Behavior guidance
Preparing for the Exam
For your kitten’s first visit, we request that you bring the following:
- Your kitten in a secure carrier
- All paperwork pertaining to the previous care of your kitten including all previous immunizations, deworming, medications and any veterinary records you may have. You may email these records to us as well.
- Any questions you may have regarding your kitten’s health or behavior
- A fresh stool sample (less than 12 hours old)