Congratulations on the new addition to your family! Getting a new puppy is an exciting time, but can also bring up many questions and concerns (especially for first-time dog owners). At Mayde Creek Animal Health Center, we are here to provide your new companion with everything he or she needs to grow up healthy and strong.
It is important to have your new puppy examined as soon as possible to make sure they are healthy and to vaccinate them against serious, preventable diseases. Our veterinarians will make sure they receive a healthy start in life through comprehensive wellness exams, customized vaccinations, parasite protection, and nutrition and weight management advice.
Your Puppy’s First Exam
Your new puppy’s first visit with us includes a comprehensive physical exam which allows us to establish a specialized wellness plan for your puppy going forward. During the wellness exam, we will perform:
- A comprehensive physical exam
- An intestinal parasite screening
- An intestinal parasite worming (if needed)
- Necessary vaccines or vaccine boosters
We will also take time to review:
- A vaccination program based on your puppy’s lifestyle and exposure risk
- Heartworm preventative recommendations
- Recommendations for flea and tick prevention
- Behavior and housetraining recommendations
- Nutritional counseling
- Behavior guidance
Preparing for the Exam
For your puppy’s first visit, we request that you bring the following:
- Your puppy on a leash or in a dog carrier
- All paperwork pertaining to the previous care of your puppy including all previous immunizations, deworming, medications and any veterinary records you may have. You may email these records to us as well.
- Any questions you may have regarding your puppy’s health or behavior
- A fresh stool sample (less than 1 hour old ideally and no more than 6 hours old)
For more information on puppy care, call Mayde Creek Animal Health Center at (281) 500-9092.