Wellness Care for Senior Dogs
Senior wellness exams will significantly increase your dog’s lifespan and quality of life. Our veterinarians at Mayde Creek Animal Health Center recommend biannual wellness exams for all senior dogs to keep them as healthy as possible. As your dog ages, normal changes take place and diseases may follow that can often affect their overall health, well-being and comfort. With biannual senior wellness exams we are able to monitor your senior dog’s health and detect, diagnose, and treat underlying medical conditions before they progress into serious problems that could affect your dog’s quality of life. When detected early and treated properly, many conditions can be prevented from progressing into more serious and sometimes life threatening illnesses. Our goal is for you and your family dog to enjoy the longest, healthiest life together.
Our bi-annual comprehensive senior feline wellness exam includes:
- A thorough nose-to-tail examination
- A dental evaluation
- Vaccines tailored specifically to your dog’s lifestyle, age, health and exposure risks
- Comprehensive diagnostic testing that may include a senior dog blood profile analysis (blood count and blood chemistry panel), urine and fecal analysis, x-rays, blood and eye pressure testing
- Heartworm testing and prevention
- Recommendations for parasite prevention and control (i.e. fleas, ticks, and worms)
- Nutritional counseling, including exercise habits
Please note that additional diagnostic testing may be recommended depending on our findings.
Symptoms to Look Out For
If you notice any of the following symptoms, we recommend you schedule an appointment with a Mayde Creek Animal Health Center veterinarian as soon as possible:
- Weight loss
- Decrease in appetite
- Excess urination
- Excess drinking
- Reduced exercise, reluctance to move, run, jump, etc.
- Perception of pain when your pet moves or is handled
- Any vomiting or diarrhea
- Change in litter box use, infrequent urination or lack of bowel movements
- New lumps or bumps
- Change in dog’s energy level